- 15 May 2020
In order to fight and contain the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace and guarantee employees adequate levels of protection, on 13 May 2020 the Lombardy Region issued an order providing for preventive hygiene and health measures, which are more restrictive than those provided for by the Decree of the President of the Council of Ministers (DPCM) of 26 April 2020.
In particular, in Lombardy it is now obligatory for employers (or a delegate) to measure their employees’ body temperatures before allowing them to access the workplace.
Most notably, from 18 May to 31 May 2020 (unless otherwise extended), employers based in Lombardy will have to subject employees to body temperature checks before entering company premises. The same must also be done when an employee displays Covid-19 respiratory infection symptoms (e.g., cough, cold, conjunctivitis) during the performance of their work while on company premises.
If their temperature is above 37.5 ° C:
- The employee must be prohibited from accessing company premises or remain therein.
- The employee must be temporarily isolated, without, however, going to the emergency room or to the infirmary in the workplace.
- The employer must promptly communicate the situation to the competent local ATS (health body), through either the company’s occupational health doctor or the HR department.
Furthermore, the aforementioned order also recommends measuring the body temperature of customers/consumers who access the company premises. If their temperature is higher than 37.5 ° C, they should be prohibited from accessing the facilities and must be told that they need to contact their doctor.
Lastly, individuals in Lombardy are strongly advised to fill in the “CercaCovid" questionnaire daily, which is available through the "AllertaLom" app.
Workplace access is becoming an increasingly critical issue and must be carefully considered even outside of Lombardy. As a matter of fact, regardless of the location of the company, employers must take all necessary steps to protect the health and the safety of their employees, while remaining in full compliance with privacy laws.
Our firm has set up a dedicated team of experts to assist employers in order to ensure compliance. You can contact our experts at the following e-mail address: email@example.com.
WHO CAN I CONTACT TO FIND OUT MORE?
We have created a specific team to efficiently support employers in the management of Phase 2 of the COVID-19 emergency.
“Covid: Phase 2“ is a new package of services created by the firm for companies, whichmakes it possible to manage Phase 2 of the Covid-19 emergency in the best way possible. The product is composed of 5 different modules, which are are separable and can be selected as stand-alone services:
- Survey and analysis of the results of the survey carried out;
- Review of employment contract templates and the drafting of individual and collective contracts and agreements;
- Health and Safety at work – the revision of Health Protocols (factories, offices, shops);
- Data privacy;
- The new employee welfare benefit programmes
For any queries relating specifically to the employment law issues linked to the Phase 2 of the COVID emergency, you can make reference to your usual contact person within the firm or write to the dedicated team, who are available at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.